How to fix two walls with mould behind wallpaper?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Basilpot2020
Labourer
Labourer

How to fix two walls with mould behind wallpaper?

Post by Basilpot2020 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I am really stuck for what to do with two walls in my bedroom (which are also outside walls). The room has had a constant problem with rising black mould appearing in the corner of the room and along the bottom of both walls.

A few years ago, someone stripped the old wallpaper off, put up a foil lining on the original wall and wallpapered over it. It worked for a while but the mould had now been back for a couple of years. Last year I got a new window installed, I'm hoping this will have helped the problem, becuase when the old window was there it had thick condensation appearing every day, now there is none.

I am left with a corner that is stained with black mould, and when I peel away the wallpaper I can see the black mould growing underneath. I know that I should remove the wallpaper because it is bad for my health as I am sleeping there, however, I am worried that when I remove the wallpaper I will be left with the silver foil and won't be able to paint over it. I can't afford to hire a tradesman right now, so I'm not sure if I should just remove the mould from the current wallpaper and seal it in?

Thank you.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to fix two walls with mould behind wallpaper?

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Hi basilpot2020
Firstly, you need to have the bedroom window open at all times to reduce the moisture content in the room
Secondly, short term you need to run a de-humidifier in the room to reduce moisture adsorbed in the room fabric
Thirdly, you need to remove the paper and foil and redecorate with a breathable paint and treat the mould as it appears. If your bedroom walls are solid it is unlikely that you will cure this problem.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:37 pm