How to Organise a Room and Floor Refurb With Minimum Mess?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sadjonvee
Apprentice
Apprentice

How to Organise a Room and Floor Refurb With Minimum Mess?

by sadjonvee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:48 pm

My front room is tired and needs refreshing. My plan is:
Remove horrible old carpet and sand/fill/varnish floorboards ( which seem to be in quite good nick)
Strip woodchip wallpaper
Smooth walls and either paint or re-paper
Re-paint ceiling

My first question is where should I start? Is it better to do floor work or decorating first, given the mess everyone mentions with floor work, or the damage the decorating could do to a "new" floor
Second, I've never attempted anything like this floor work. Realistically is it do-able for a DIY newbie or should I bite the bullet and pay? Room is around 4m x 9m
Finally, if I am going to pay, what kind of cost per room/sq metre is likely for a good job? I'm based in North London (but not Hampstead !!!!)

Any advice would be really gratefully received.

Dave

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: How to Organise a Room and Floor Refurb With Minimum Mess?

by proptech » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi
This is the order I would use.
Leave the carpet down for now, it wlil be great for containing any mess or spillage. Strip the walls, thoroughly wash, fill, and rub down. Prepare skirtings, and any other woodwork. Paint the ceiling, still with the carpet down.
I would suggest hanging lining paper on the walls, as you will obtain a far better finish. Then finish the decorating when the floor is finished.
As for the floor, I have to say I'm not a fan of sanded floor boards. If this is a ventilated suspended ground floor, you could have problems with draughts through the gaps, the room could well be colder, carpet is a bit of an insulator, and don't forget sanding will reduce the thickness of the boards.
If you do go ahead with the sanding, you will need to hire a proper floor sanding machine, and edging sander, after punching all the nail heads just below the surface.
Just my opinion, I suggest you look at laminate flooring.
Best of luck with the room.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:10 pm