How to Paint over Damp Exterior Wood???
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jbowen5
Apprentice
Apprentice

How to Paint over Damp Exterior Wood???

Post by jbowen5 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:36 am

I am working to restore and save old wood sash windows in a listed building I have recently purchased and moved into. The windows had been neglected for many years so, even where there is no rot, much of the exterior wood is very damp (perhaps I should say soaking wet). I can make the various replacements and repairs and get the windows to the point where all they need is a good primer and coat of paint. But how do I deal with the wet wood? With its exterior exposure it is never going to dry as bare wood, but if I paint it wet, the paint will seal in the moisture (until it peels off!). Is there any solution to this?? How about Goretex paint? :wink:

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

Post by LCL » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Evening

Your joinery really needs to dry out, if you do manage to get a paint coating to stick successfully, you will seal the damp in and the joinery will rot from the inside out.

I think you will need to crate some kind of cover to each window to prevent it getting wet, this will enable the joinery to eventually become air dry and decoration can then take place. Probably the wrong time of year now to be taking this on, but with the wet summers of late you may be better off doing it in the dry winter months!!

Hope this helps

LCL

jbowen5
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jbowen5 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:19 am

Thanks for the input. I had been hoping that there would be a magic fix, but I've gradually been coming to the realization that what you suggest is the only way, short of replacing the entire window.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:20 pm