How to use electric towel rail
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ajpjewel
Labourer
Labourer

How to use electric towel rail

Post by ajpjewel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi All, Summer is here and I have discovered in my new build house that the towel rails have an electric input - and I recall the builder saying they could be used when the heating was off. Has anyone any idea how they work? They have temp valves on the inlet pipe?

Any advice greatly appreciated!! :)

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to use electric towel rail

Post by plumbbob » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Somewhere safe, usually outside the bathroom (maybe in the bedroom if that is the other side of the wall to where the radiator is) there will be an isolator switch that controls the heating element.

The radiator contains a heating element and non adjustable thermostat that heats the water in the rad. This is normally left on permanently.

GazDaz
Labourer
Labourer

Re: How to use electric towel rail

Post by GazDaz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:59 pm

This sound like a dual fuel towel rail, runs on the CH in the winter and electric in the summer (as the CH isn't running). Plumbbob is bang on, the only other thing you normally have to do is shut the one of the rad valves other wise you will try to heat your entire heating system with this small electric element by natural convection around your system, don't shut both as the fluid in the rail will expand when heated and has to go somewhere

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:49 pm