How to Wire Heating Elements for Heat Press?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Heat_press_help
Labourer
Labourer

How to Wire Heating Elements for Heat Press?

by Heat_press_help » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:25 am

I'm trying to build a large heat press and I want to use 2 oven elements as the heat source. I'm new to electrics and have no idea what I need between the elements and mains power. I'd like to be able to control the temperature at about 175celcius.
For various reasons the heated panel needs to be at the top of the press, so I have ruled out gas. Steam seems like too much of a challenge.
One other question - I'll need to anchor the elements to something sturdy. What's the deal with using wood at that temperature? (Clearly not between the elements and what I am trying to heat!)
All help welcome

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to Wire Heating Elements for Heat Press?

by Mr White » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:42 pm

Heating elements will get hot until they reach their maximum temperature, or they are switched off by something. The something could be a timer, but in an oven it will be a thermostat.

I would say that timber will burn (scorch) at 175 degrees C, so will be of little use to you.

You will also need to take into consideration the amount of current the elements will draw, and use a suitable size of cable.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: How to Wire Heating Elements for Heat Press?

by ericmark » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:32 pm

Likely an oven thermostat will do the job of control, but mineral insulated elements need a cold junction so design is important, if you look at an oven the heating element has the electrical connections away from the oven often in a fan cooled part of the appliance. And every thing is held in place by studs and tapped holes, in the older ovens the wires would be insulated with porcelain beads.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:43 pm