I think I need a new water pump but I just want to be sure
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Unclesatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think I need a new water pump but I just want to be sure

by Unclesatan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:26 am

I have a Baxi Solo 40PF Boiler in the garage feeding a vented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard, the central heating is a closed system and the pressure is fine. There is also a mid position valve which appears to work as when I disconnect it and operate the valve manually there is no change. We also have a timer control that controls hot water and heating independently.

A couple of weeks ago we lost heat in the upstairs radiators, but it was fine downstairs. Also at this point our power shower went a bit funny in that is spluttered for a bit when it started, I’m not sure if this is related as this shower has it’s own pump in the loft.

I turned off the radiators upstairs and the radiators downstairs came straight on, so with the downstairs radiators open fully, I turned 2 of the upstairs on by turning their stop valves about ¾ of a turn until heat started entering them. I also bleed the downstairs radiators and there was no air in them, the water that came out of them was clear. This worked for a short while, but then the radiators downstairs stopped working.

We then found that if we turned off the hot water at the control unit all the radiators would work fine. So we staggered the timers so only heating or hot water were on at the same time.

This worked ok until Sunday when it all stopped.

I checked in the airing cupboard and the cylinder and pipes were cold, but the pump was hot to the touch and I could feel it vibrating, I then checked the boiler and it was on, but the lights were indicating that it was not heating any water, I’m hoping that this is because of the pump it was not ‘seeing’ any demand and not a fault with the boiler.

From my searching the forums the waterpump seems the most likely culprit. So am I right to suspect and replace the pump, or is it something else causing my woes?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:11 pm

If the pump was hot but the system was cold I would start by venting and if no luck - changing the pump.

htg

Unclesatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Unclesatan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:53 pm

Well I replaced the pump and no joy although replacing the pump wasn't a total loss as its got a much lower energy rating so when it's all working it should cost less to run. :?

The boiler isn't engaging now, the On light comes on followed by the fan light, but it doesn't proceed to the pilot and burner lights.

Time for a Plumber maybe????

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:06 am

Hi Nathan,

As I said elsewhere please check to see if the fan is actually spinning?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1