DIY Doctor

Main navigation

identifying hot water system

Postby trawets » Sun May 24, 2009 2:00 am

please someome help. I have located a small leak coming from a pipe(not at a joint) This pipe comes from the bottom of a small tank. I think but do not know for sure that it is the feed/ expansion pipe for heating system.At present I have tied up the ball cock in this tank.I want to cut out and replace leaking area of this pipebut do not know what exactly i woud have to drain down to do this.I am also having problems working out what type of hot water tank(cant spell cylinder) I have. It is indirect and would appear to be vented but ther is no other storage tank apart from the small one. If this hot watr cylinder is feed from the mains surely it would have to be un vented. I am confused and also a bad speller.Any help would be appreciated .
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 1:14 am


Simply Build It

Postby rosebery » Sun May 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Can you host some pictures at imageshack and link to them in a post here?

Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2022
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Postby bd3cc » Sun May 24, 2009 9:47 pm

If it the smaller of 2 plastic tank in your loft, it is almost certainly the CH header.
Tie up the ballvalve so it does not refill, drain via G/f drain valve or rad, so that water is below loft level, replace and refill.
Rank: Foreman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:02 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics