Improving a small Victorian dining room: any tips?
Your comments on how to design the perfect home - And help others do it !

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jacr100
Labourer
Labourer

Improving a small Victorian dining room: any tips?

by jacr100 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:33 pm

Hi folks

I’ve attached some photos of the dining room in our Victorian semi (dimensions 3.0m x 3.7m). We did a little bit of renovation in this room when we moved in (mainly plastering/painting plus taking up carpet and putting down laminate), but now it’s time to improve it further.

Since many of you out there have much better design heads than us, I thought I’d ask opinions.

Things we’re considering:

1. Take out the electric heater and replace with an empty fireplace + improve the fireplace surround.

2. Take out the bookshelves either side of the fireplace and replace with alcove cupboards + floating shelves.

3. Add a small cupboard under the stairs.

4. Replace the table with a smaller version (eg square that extends), with benches rather than chairs.

5. Possibly add a window into the west-facing wall (where the clock is), for lots more light.

Any advice on the above, or suggestions to maximise storage and/or fit a Victorian style, warmly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20201231_165259.jpg
IMG_20201231_165444.jpg
IMG_20201231_165419.jpg

karenburton1305
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Improving a small Victorian dining room: any tips?

by karenburton1305 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:28 pm

I love how well organised this is - all the compact spaces look great! I think the floating shelves might be a good idea though. I think that will look less tight, and will open the room up a little bit. It adds a great homely vibe but the floating shelves should modernise that a little bit.

I also think a window addition would be brilliant - a bit more light would definitely be beneficial in the room as well. Will help open up the room and make it feel bigger!

jacr100
Labourer
Labourer

by jacr100 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:30 pm

Thanks for your kind words Karen!

karenburton1305
Labourer
Labourer

by karenburton1305 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:04 pm

You're more than welcome!

If you're struggling to get some more light into the room, a feature wall could be an option. Depending on the colour it can make a space feel bigger and brighter.

You could try it under the shelves? Like the blue on these cabinets - https://www.magnet.co.uk/kitchens/all-kitchens/integra-fusion/

I know they're cabinets but I think its a good example of the blue brightening a whiter room!

I'd love to see pictures once you finish!!!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:29 pm