In the dark with light fittings !
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rayo
Apprentice
Apprentice

In the dark with light fittings !

by Rayo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:01 pm

Hopefully there is an electricity boffin out there who can help with what to you might seem as an easy problem to solve. Unfortunately it's got me baffled.
I recently tried replacing 2 wall lights and a ceiling light.

When I removed the old ceiling light I thought I had grouped the wires together in exactly the same way.
There were 3 cables connected to the old fitting but unfortunately I'm not now sure if I have them grouped together correctly as the light won't work.
2 cables have 1 BLACK, 1 RED and the other has 2 REDS. All 3 cables have another wire that doesn't have a sleeve but they have been grouped together using GREEN insulating tape.
The 2 REDS and 2 BLACKS are connected together. The other 2 REDS are seperate from the others but are also grouped together.

The wall lights are seemingly straightforward to reconnect. There are only 3 wires; RED, BLACK ,GREEN/YELLOW (E,L,N ) So deciphering where each goes on the new light fitting appears simple Red = Brown, Black = Blue and Green = Green. However they won't work either.

At the moment none of the new fittings are in place as none work.

HELP!!

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:11 pm

This question has been asked over 80 times in 3 months. Please do what is advised and visit our projects section where, in the many electrical projects there, the answer is demonstrated safely.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:01 pm

Hi as DOC says this is all too familiar a post, however yours is interesting as wall lights don't appear to be connected to centre light so should work on own switches?
Centre light : The cable with the twin reds in is from your switch, one red should go with other 2 reds in spare term. block [not connected to light fitting], the 2 black[neutrals] should go to Neutral of light[blue], the remaining red from twin red should go to Live of fitting [Brown].
look at project' ceiling rose wiring for pictures,
regards SPARX

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:39 pm

RAYO
get a sparky in to check things over.

BLAKEY1963

Rayo
Apprentice
Apprentice