infilling behind a fire back
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Simon Davies
Labourer
Labourer

infilling behind a fire back

Post by Simon Davies » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:07 am

I have taken off a horrible fire mantel and due to the cost of gas wish to replace the original gas coal effect fire with a real fire place for wood and coal. I have have had the gas disconected and bought a new wooden mantel.

My problems are that
1. the old marble surround is now too big for the new mantel and will need cutting. Should I be doing this to the inside measurements of the new mantel, and if so is it held to the wall with just the cement behind or is there another way?

2. When I took the faulse clay fire back out to have the chimney cleaned, it was obvious that there used to be a boiler there at one time and the space is quite large and full of uneven and slightly dodgy brickwork. One or two seem potentially quite loose if fiddled with, I have been told to infill this space with a substance called 'melicalight'? I have googled this but can't find it. How should I go about infilling this gap and will it also allow me to fill the gap which would otherwise allow soot to fall back behind the fire back?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi Simon. I would love to able help you on this but out of my depth I think? what type of fire are fitting is it a fire or a stove?
I don't know what area you are from, I live in West Yorkshire and there is a guy who is really good with this sort of stuff and does it for a living, I can give you contact details if it would help!
KB

Simon Davies
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Simon Davies » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:50 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]Hi Simon. I would love to able help you on this but out of my depth I think? what type of fire are fitting is it a fire or a stove?
I don't know what area you are from, I live in West Yorkshire and there is a guy who is really good with this sort of stuff and does it for a living, I can give you contact details if it would help!
KB[/quote]

Many thanks for getting back Brownie. It is an old back-boiler space which had been removed and a traditional looking false back 'clay' form put in with a real effect gas fire in front - in effect making the large empty void behind look like a normal fire. The gap behind is about 4 inches deep and about 20 inches high or so. I am attempting to replace the gas with a traditional open wood/coal fire, not a stove. Any info you might have will be ever so gratefully received as I am a bright bloke who is happy to have a go but I am not a builder!! :-) . Thanks again, SImon

Simon Davies
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Simon Davies » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:51 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]Hi Simon. I would love to able help you on this but out of my depth I think? what type of fire are fitting is it a fire or a stove?
KB[/quote]

Oh Yes, I live in Cheshire so your contact is probably too fay away but he may be able to give me some advice. Thanks.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:44 am

There are a few products on the market, never come across the one you mentioned. but i'm no expert on fires. I hve a cottage with a solid fuel stove which gets amazingly hot and all I did was render the back wall, that was eight years ago and still as good as the first day.
Dave at PI 01422 845069, he may be able to help.
KB

Simon Davies
Labourer
Labourer

fireplace

Post by Simon Davies » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:59 pm

Dear Brownie . Thanks for your time and help. I think I have a handle on this now. I am going to remover the whole infill of loose bricks, find the original fire hole and render. There is a now a good chance we will get a friend in to help install as woodburner now anyway. Thanks for your help. Simon

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:44 am

It is always good to hear that problems are resolved or are on the to being resolved, and I appreciate the feedback, some don't bother so you never know if you have helped or hindered or even if they understand your explainations.
So i'm really happy that I have contributed to you resolving a problem and good luck with the completion of your project and all the best
KB

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:22 pm