Information on Basement Excavation Under Front Garden
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

carbar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Information on Basement Excavation Under Front Garden

by carbar » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:01 pm

Hello.

I'm not sure if this is a right forum, but I will ask anyway. I have recently had planning permission refused for an extension at the rear of my property, so I have started looking at excating a basement under my front garden (since it is larger that the footprint of the house, so size won't be an issue).

I was wondering about a few aspects of the construction. Obviously the walls and floors will be concrete, but I was wondering about the ceiling. Will that be concrete as well? If so, will it be strong enough to park cars on top and how big can it be before it needs additional support (such as columns)?

Once the basement is constructed, how are the walls and ceiling lined? Is the plasterboard stuck directly onto the concrete or are battons screwed to the concrete and the plasterboard screwed to the battons?

If anyone knows of any resource where these kinds of questions are answered, I would be very grateful.

Regards,

Carl

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:20 pm