Installing A Shower
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
striker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Installing A Shower

by striker » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:46 am

Hi, I am looking for some assurance and advice. I have recently moved house and want to re-install my Mira 9.5kw shower myself. I have an MK Sentry split load consumer unit with two spare places to the right of the RCD. It is a 100amp consumer unit.

I have drilled a hole in my bathroom ceiling and am planning to feed a 10mm twin & earth cable in 25mm trunking up to this hole, then open across the loft, being carefull not to have it covered with insulation, and down the wall again enclosed in trunking into my landing to a 45amp double pole neon switch. I have attached the cable from the shower to the load and the other cable runs to the CU from the supply on the switch.

The cable is then being fed down the rest of the wall under the floor boards in my bedroom to the consumer unit attached to a wall in the room below my bedroom. The total length of the 10mm cable is about 4 metres to the switch and then about 5 metres to the consumer unit. I have an MK 45amp MCB to go next to the RCD (I will get this bit done by a qualified electrician)

I guess what I need to know is, have I done this correctly and have I used the correct parts. I was hoping to minimise the cost of the electrician who wanted £250 to do the whole thing. I have tried to figure this out from other posts on the forum and internet.

Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:40 pm

HI striker,
If you've been reading post regarding shower installation. I'm guessing you will have noticed the term/expression "part p" keeps cropping up.
Have a look at the part p projects on this site.
Regards
KB

striker
Apprentice
Apprentice

by striker » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:49 pm

Hi KB

I have had a look at part P and what I was planning to do is do the preparating and installation of the cable to the shower and CU but not connect them. I will get a qualified electrician in to do this part of it. I was going to connect the cable to the switch though which is outside of the bathroom.

One other thing i forgot to mention is that there is already a back box, blanking plate and 6mm cable attached to the wall running up into the loft and down into the floor boards which I assumed was from a previous installation as the pipework for the shower was already in place. I was hoping this would mean that I was altering an existing installation rather than installing a new one but I realise this may be tenuous.

Thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:43 pm

What you have done seems on quick read to be OK. But as already stated Part P is the problem. To be correct the only person who can sign the paper work on behalf of the installer is the installer as so much of the cable is hidden under floor boards etc. Sometimes electricians will design and instruct the DIY man what to do then sign the paperwork but this is up to the electrician and very few will sign if they had no input as to how the job was done. They will inspect and test but this is different set of paper work to installation sometimes building inspectors will accept it but that depends on his mood and he could insist its re-done by someone qualified. And not to tell anyone can cause problems if you every try to claim on insurance. I would look on the last inspection and test certificate and call the same electrician and see if he can help you as you will have had the house inspected and tested when you moved in. Again not illegal if you don't get it tested on change of occupancy but your insurance could be invalid.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:04 pm