Installing an electric Shower
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hobbis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Installing an electric Shower

by hobbis » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:13 pm

I have had to install an 9.5 electric shower to get a decent shower. I already know a plumber who can do the plumbing side of it. I also know a retired electrician but he said it is now illegal to do electric stuff unless you have a part P. An elecgrician I got to give me a quote has quoted £25.00 to connect it. The plumber has fitted the shower to the tiles so it just needs the electrical connection doing. An electrician has quoted £250.00 to do it. Because this isn't something you buy everyday I have no idea if it is about right or not. It sound a lot for what seems a straight forward job. Any comments gratefully accepted. :shock:

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi, it depends on what is available to connect to, the age of the installation ect.
The shower will need to go on it's own circuit from consumer unit, which must have RCD protection.
The main earthing to water/gas/oil or any such services must be up to standard or will need bringing up.
The cable size, Circuit breaker ,local isolator all cost quite a bit and depending on difficulty/length of run it could be reasonably cheap.
Labour rates vary but in my rural locality £30/hr plus tax is normal,
also test certs & registering job with local authority via a 'Part P' scheme costs as well.
regards SPARX

hobbis
Apprentice
Apprentice

shower installation

by hobbis » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:42 am

Hi, Thanks for your reply it gives me more of an idea of what to expect. It is a long run through the attic to the back then down the outside wall to the box in the cloakroom. I suppose all these seamingly straight forward jobs are loaded with regulations and demands and makes a quote seem a lot. Thanks

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:09 pm

£ 250 is much closer to it than £ 25.00 I'm suspecting. Did you mean £ 25 or was that a typo for £ 250? If it needs a new cable to CU and all the other stuff Sparks mentions including the testing then an off-the-cuff £ 250 without seeing it wouldn't surprise me.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:32 pm