Installing new light fitting - ceiling
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Murray
Labourer
Labourer

Installing new light fitting - ceiling

Post by Murray » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:18 am

Hi,

I am installing a new light fitting in the ceiling and there is only one black and red wire from the roof. The light itself has a green wire (earth), blue and brown.

Where do i connect the green (earth) wire from the light fittling? On the electical circuit board where all the wires are attached to (blue, black, red and brown) there is a empty screw thats opposite the 8 holes where everything else goes in (blue, black, red and brown) - does it go in here? Is this correct. There is also another single green (earth) wire of about three inches attached to the part that covers the fitting.

Currently the red and black wires are at opposite ends of the circuit board as is the blue and brown.

Hope this makes sense as i dont really know the correct terminology.

regards
murray

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:40 pm

Back in 1960’s we did not take earth wires to lights. But now we do and the lights available reflect this. If the house is wired without earths to the lights then you can only used Class II lights which have a double square insignia and no earth wires.
Only other way is to rewire the lights, although in theory one could add an earth wire when added they have to be 4mm² and follow the same route as supply which means just as much work to add as to replace.
As electrician’s we would also fit a sign on the consumer unit saying:-

Warning: Circuit(s) Nos.xxxx do not have
Provision for earthing metal equipment.
TO AVOID RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO NOT
REPLACE INSULATED LIGHTING FITTINGS
OR SWITCHES WITH METAL LIGHTING
FITTINGS OR SWITCHES.

This should be on a yellow background and have black letters. The Electrical Safety Council Best practice guides are found at http://www.esc.org.uk/business-and-comm ... uides.html and guide no 1 deals with this problem.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:56 am