Installing Ring Pro With old Doorbell System/Wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rflook
Apprentice
Apprentice

Installing Ring Pro With old Doorbell System/Wiring

by rflook » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi,

I have just bought a Pro doorbell and have some questions which I am hoping someone may be able to help with.

In all of the videos/manuals, when installing the bypass, the old doorbell has 4 wires leading into/out of it (2 power cables and 2 cables which I assume lead to the bell push). My doorbell box only has two cables running into it. It seems my system has been set up (old house and therefore old wiring I guess) by running a cable from the transformer to the doorbell, a cable from the doorbell to the push button and a third cable from the push button back to the transformer.

IMG_20190718_181038 (2).jpg

What I have done is effectively remove the old doorbell completely, by running a cable from the transformer to the Ring bypass, from the Ring bypass to the Ring push button, then back from the ring device to the transformer - this seems to work.

I have two questions, firstly is this the correct way of setting up the Ring based on the wiring I have? Secondly, is it actually possible to have my old doorbell ring as well as the Ring Chime when the Ring is activated?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance/help.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Installing Ring Pro With old Doorbell System/Wiring

by Mr White » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Without having the instructions it is not possible to comment regarding the manufacturer's recommendations.

Most doorbells as you show in your picture are not compatible with electronic devices, so the answer to your question of can you have both is no unless you use some form of electrical isolation between the two devices.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:42 pm