DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Installing Solar Panels on a Flat Garage Roof

Postby Jos Dennis » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:59 pm

I have a large garage at end of my long garden, with one side of roofing facing south. There is an electric mains supply to the garage via armoured cable. If I wanted to install pv panels to the roof , can the energy produced be sent back to my meter/fuse board position using the cable already installed or would a new cable be required. The later I wouldn't fancy doing as its a long complicated route back through the garden/house to reach meter/fuseboard position and I'm sure new cabling would be disruptive.
Jos Dennis
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:51 pm


Simply Build It

Postby DIYDoctor1 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi Jos,
If you are going to feed electricity back into the mains (and receive the Feed in Tariff) this will have to go in via the main circuit board/ fuse box where the generation meter will be situated. The inverter will need to be situated close to the panels.

To receive the Feed in Tariff (FIT) you will need to get the system installed by an MCS accredited installer. Cost have come down enormously in recent years so it might be worth exploring prices and getting quotes:

They will be able to confirm which aspect of the project that they are happy for you to do yourself and which they will prefer to do.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:44 am

Postby Jos Dennis » Mon May 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks DIYDoctor re info on feedback into the mains/tariff.
I assume from what you say that the answer to my main question is that I will not be able to use the existing cable feeding the garage supply i.e to take electricity generated by panels and through inverter to the mains board in the house then?
Jos Dennis
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Postby TheDoctor4 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:09 am


Unfortunately no, you won't be able to do this. You will need to lay a new cable. Remember, you will need to get the system signed off by an MCS qualified installer in order to qualify for the feed in tariff.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 16777199
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Somerset in the UK in Shepton mallet

Postby Solarpanelfunding » Tue May 05, 2015 9:22 pm

Most MCS approved installers will more than likely want to complete all electrical work them selfs if they are to sign it off. So make sure you speak with them first before carrying out any work.


Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 9:01 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics