Insulated plasterboard v stud and board
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Grumpy Boy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Insulated plasterboard v stud and board

by Grumpy Boy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:41 am

I need to insulate my barn conversions external walls - approx 500mm thick.

I have been advised to use insulated platerboard (50-70mm + p.board). When I have look at the cost of the boards they are quite steep!. I have been looking at the Kingspan boards. Are there other similar products at a cheap price?.

My guess is they will all be of a similar price?.

What are the implications of using a stud frame type arrangement, with insulation boards (e.g Kingspan), again 50-70mm + plasterboard. I think the component parts will be a lot cheaper but am not sure about heatloss/coldspots at each batton. Will is be significant.

Thanks.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:10 pm

The problem with studs with insulation in between is, that wood is not a good insulation.
The way people have dealt with this recently is, to place another layer of insulation on top of the joists to avoid the problem called ghosting, this is where the location of the studs becomes clear as water vapour and dust settle on the walls over the studs as they are the coldest part of the walls, even with insulation over, you get the same problem with the tops of the nails or screws showing up as grey patches.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:37 pm