Insulating conservatory with polycarbonate roof
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

bobbijean
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating conservatory with polycarbonate roof

by bobbijean » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:30 pm

Brick built conservatory with polycarbonate roof = 5m 50cm in Length x 3m 20cm in width.

Freezing in the winter,unbearably hot in the summer.
I'm a DJ and this room is where my decks are,I also give dancing lessons in here.
Since I bought the house there has been an ongoing problem of complaining neighbours regarding the music.
So as well as the Heat Insulation the Sound insulating needs of this room also needs to be considered.

With the help of family & friends I am going to do this job myself and am trying to source as much information and advice as possible on how this is done and the materials/products needed for the job.

The polycarbonate roof is attached to 10 internal beams.Two of the beams are plastic which have strip lighting on the rest are timber.
Between each beam measures 38cm for the narrowest cavity(area between each beam) and the other 7 cavity's range from 67cm-76cm.

I have been told the best way to do this myself is insulate with Rock wool between each beam then attach and secure sheets of plasterboard.
Is this information right?????
After work has been completed i want to staple fabric to the whole ceiling creating a draped parachute effect effect and don't think plasterboard would be the most appropriate to use in order to do this.
I was told chipboard would be better.?????

If anyone could help advice and inform me with most effective way to do this and recommend products/materials needed for this project I would be greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:08 am