Insulating / Fire-check Chimney breast in loft conversion
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
James Surrey
Labourer
Labourer

Insulating / Fire-check Chimney breast in loft conversion

Post by James Surrey » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Hello. I am currently converting my loft (1940's house) and am struggling to find the required information about insulating / fire-protection for my brick chimney stack as it passes through the extension. I can't see an applicable insulation u-value (is it an external wall or internal wall?) and am not sure whether chimneys have to be clad for fire regs as I've seen many pics of exposed chimneys within conversions?

The chimney is free-standing within the habitable loft space. It has two flues - one is closed off and the other has a twin wall flue (professionally installed about 5yrs ago) from the log-burner in our lounge, which we use once per week or so in winter. As far as I'm aware, the outer wall of the chimney doesn't get hot when in use and we have no intention of ever using the flue for an open fire. I am intending on using metal studs, attached to the brickwork and then would like to use the smallest depth pir insulation / air gap possible to comply with insulation/fire regs, as the space is quite tight on one side of the chimney. Do I need an air gap if using pir and creating a vapor barrier, can the insulation go between the metal studs and what plasterboard should I screw to the studs (Its small enough to use a single sheet on each side). Ideally I want to add a maximum of between 5-10cms to the chimney dimensions on the affected side. I will be getting a building inspector in to check but want to get all of the studwork up in advance. Thanks for your help.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Insulating / Fire-check Chimney breast in loft conversion

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:53 pm

Hi James surrey
Leaving the brick chimney exposed would gain some heat when you use the wood burner. However the BI may well insist on insulation and the regulation spacing - you will have to get their directive. They all have different ideas.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:44 am