Insulation - Flat Roof
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chris Tapping
Labourer
Labourer

Insulation - Flat Roof

by Chris Tapping » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:08 pm

I have recently replaced my Kitchen.

I removed all the plaster to the walls and ceiling. There was a couple of leaks on under the flat roof (felted and stone chipped). I had these repaired. ( weeping only ).

I then installed Xtratherm between the joists to the flat roof 140mm joists are about 200mm deep and then plastered under joists. Leaving about a 50mm gap between top of insulation and bottom of chipboard.

The flat roof seems to have been an unvented roof now I think of it.

Will this be ok, or am I likely to get condensation problems on the timber under the felt?

If this is a problem, is their a way to fix it without ripping the ceiling down, as I would not be popular!

There were no problems before I installed the insulation and it was still a closed construction, and I have re-ducted the stove fan to the outside wall, so there should not be a lot of steam in the kitchen. Dryer now in garage.

Any help...... would be appreciated.

Chris

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:24 pm

Chris Tapping,
Wthout the area above the insulation being ventilated it is possible that you will get consensation forming but this may not be evident for a number of years.
Suggest you cut hole in the centre of the ceiling next March and see if you have a condensation problem.
end

Chris Tapping
Labourer
Labourer

by Chris Tapping » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:12 pm

thanks for the reply.
I removed a sheet of plaster and didn't find any signs of condensation, it seems also the joiner didn't pack the insulation too hard to the joists with gaps of 10mm between insulation in some places, however this insulation is only 5mm below the chipboard.

From a dormer in the original house I can get to the frame where all the joists connect too. I could drill two small holes between each set of rafters, although this wouldn't be a direct draft, I do get quite a breeze blowing up the wall / from the roof? What do you think, should I bother about it, or see if it becomes a problem in march??

Thanks for your help by the way, I really appreciate it.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:40 pm

Chris Tapping,
see if it is a problem in march - by then the cold will have generated a problem if there is going to be one.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:50 pm