Intermittent Damp Patch Near Alcove on Chimney Breast
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

akt2k6
Labourer
Labourer

Intermittent Damp Patch Near Alcove on Chimney Breast

by akt2k6 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Hi all,
Just wondering whether anyone could shed some light on an eyesore in my sitting room.
Over the past few weeks a rather large damp patch has developed bang in the middle of a wall which seperates mine and next doors house. This wall is one of 2 alcoves on a chimney breast wall. Next door is currently empty and has been for about 12 months. Theres nothing changed on my of the wall, nothing been pushed up against the wall and no pipework runs nearby. A local builder suggested a cracked roof tile and water running down. So got a roofer out who suggested repointing the lead valley, chimney and ridge tiles which would solve the problem, £300 in total all done and dusted. So a week later the damp patch is fading, although on an evening the patch becomes darker and physically touch damp, but fades to the point of unrecognisable during the day. I’ve been in the loft nearby (as close as I can get) and cant see any visible signs of water damage, wet joists, brickwork, etc so its totally stumped me!
Anyone have an idea of what they think it is. It isnt rising damp I’m sure as its purely in the middle of the wall, not near any skirting boarda and have no damp any where remotely close by.
Attachments
019A8066-6E8C-428B-9CEF-8244018C9A96.jpeg

It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:39 am