Internal Soil Pipe (30+ yrs old), new bathroom worries
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CheesyWotsit
Labourer
Labourer

Internal Soil Pipe (30+ yrs old), new bathroom worries

by CheesyWotsit » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:40 am

I am obtaining a quote to put in a new bathroom on a limited budget (£2k) and have been told that if we supply the suite they will fit it for us. We only want a basic suite, eg. B&Q. Because we have a small room, (approx 5ft x 5ft), lots of fiddly tight pipes and an internal soil pipe in the corner of the room that we would like them to box in, most plumbers have taken one look and turned us down.

We have found one person that is considering the job, but has said that he needs to go off and ‘check regulations’ and also possibly cut part of the soil pipe off (it goes straight from the ground floor up into the attic). The old toilet has a right angle type fit onto the soil pipe and most new toilets I have seen just have straight fittings. Is this what he means? The soil pipe has been at the house since it was built (1950-60s) and has never caused us any trouble. What regulations apply and why?

I have an inbuilt dislike of workmen of any type :cry: because I don’t really understand them and am afraid that this person’s cards are marked before he has even quoted us for the job. I hope that you can please advise and put my mind to rest. Thanks.

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

by DUDE DIY » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:23 pm

Always get 3 different quotes for any job and choose who you feel most confident dealing with and who offer what you consider to be a fair price and have the confidence who will do a good job.

Best to keep your budget of 2k under your hat until you get a quote first. Boxing in of pipes I would think most plumbers would think this was quite a simple task. The soil pipe which heads to the attic will most likely be a breather vent. So nothing to worry about there as thats very normal. Its again quite simple depending on access to cut into this soil stack and fit a new straight coupling to sit your new toilet onto. As for having an in built dislike for workmen, most would consider this to very unfair opinion, most people are genuine and not out to rip you off. if you dont understand them then ask more questions until you do. Its your house and your paying. Best to give clear outlines of what your looking for from any work men before they start....hope this helps.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:31 pm