Is condensation in the loft reduced by using central heating?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Zacccc
Ganger
Ganger

Is condensation in the loft reduced by using central heating?

by Zacccc » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:30 pm

I've got a problem with condensation in my loft and I was wondering whether having central heating on throughout the house, as opposed to just using a gas fire downstairs, would increase condensation in the loft or decrease it. I'm an OAP and live on my own and therefore I try to cut down on heating costs by mainly just using the fire in the living room rather than heating the whole house with the CH.

However, I'm now wondering if my thriftiness is creating condensation problems for me. The theory, as I understand it, is that warm moist air caused by cooking, washing and even just breathing rises eventually into the loft and when it reaches the cold surface of the roof felt it forms condensation. Now, if your house has its CH on presumably that will extract the moisture out of the air and therefore less warm moist air will rise into the loft to form condensation. Am I right here? Or am I missing something? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Thumbnails
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Is condensation in the loft reduced by using central heating?

by Thumbnails » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:32 am

I think heating the home by having your central heating on for a few hours a day would solve this problem for you.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1