Is decorators caulk the right thing to be using?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jenn King
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is decorators caulk the right thing to be using?

Post by Jenn King » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:27 pm

We have stone surrounds to the inside of our windows and there are gaps of varying size all around where the plasterboard meets the stone.
Is it ok to fill in the gaps with decorators caulk or should I be using something else?
Thanks for any advice

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

Post by theshedman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:32 am

HI Jenn, it should be fine to use decorators caulk but try not to get any on the face of the stone work as it will be hard to get off. Just keep it as tidy as you can as what goes on the stone will show afterwards. If you decide to use pollyfilla instead you can always sand off any you get on the stone but it will crack quicker than the caulk. Good luck.

Jenn King
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jenn King » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks very much again shedman. I have had a go and, of course, have managed to get caulk on the stone - which of course is a red sandstone type so it shows - it's Ok where the gap is small to do it clean but not with a larger gap. I'll try to remove it with a knife perhaps - otherwise when I paint inside the window recess white perhaps it won't show too much.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:20 am

jenn - gently rubbing the stone with some fine sandpaper will help to remove the caulk. beware though - you may end up with a very clean patch of stone that will result in you having to sand the whole surround!

Jenn King
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jenn King » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:50 pm

Thank you Chris - I shall have a go

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:38 pm