Is Woodworm Still Active in Warm House? How do I Verify Live Larvae or Beetle?
Questions answered and a range of solutions on problems and issues encountered with timber framed buildings

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Colink
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is Woodworm Still Active in Warm House? How do I Verify Live Larvae or Beetle?

by Colink » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:30 pm

This forum seems to have most posts regarding Woodworm. If I should post elsewhere please tell me.

Looking at ceiling joists of my sons 70’s bungalow there are clear signs of woodworm, including “dust’ near the holes.

No sign of woodworm in rafters. Not yet fully examined all timbers due to insulation in place.

From what I have read woodworm larvae or beetle will only be alive in damp timber, and not in a house that is kept warm.

How accurate is this statement?

House was vacant for some time a few years ago.

The dust piles imply larvae or beetle are still alive or were recently - but, I presume the dust piles will not go away so how long have the dust piles been there? (rhetorical).

In short what tests can we do to determine if larvae or beetle are still alive? Eg remove all dust, re-examine after some time period? What time period? At any particular time of year? It is now August.

If treatment required I know insulation will need removed, I have read that it is necessary to dump all insulation as obviously larvae or beetle could be in the insulation. If this is correct should all insulation be dumped or only in areas were there is evidence of active larvae or beetle?

Thanks ColinK

thedoctor

Re: Is Woodworm Still Active in Warm House? How do I Verify Live Larvae or Beetle?

by thedoctor » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi

We have a project covering this very subject that may be of use to you: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/woodworm.htm

Kind Regards

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:08 pm