Joining electrical flexes for table lamp running off mains
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
milliefive
Apprentice
Apprentice

Joining electrical flexes for table lamp running off mains

by milliefive » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi,
I have a wall alcove with a hidden strip light that works off the main lighting circuit.

I want to replace this strip light with a decorative table lamp, but still have it running off the main lights.

The wire coming out of the wall has Live Neutral and Earth. The table lamp has no Earth (it has that square symbol saying it doesn't need to be earthed).

How do I join the wires in the flex connector? What do I do with the Earth wire and is it safe?

Thank you.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Joining electrical flexes for table lamp running off mains

by proptech » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:09 am

Hi milliefive

There is one way of doing this that I used come across quite often. That is to terminate the power cable using a 2 amp round pin socket. and plug on the light flex. NOT a standard 13 amp socket.
That way, nothing else can be plugged in.

JohnPhilips1987
Apprentice
Apprentice

by JohnPhilips1987 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:46 am

proptech wrote:Hi milliefive

There is one way of doing this that I used come across quite often. That is to terminate the power cable using a 2 amp round pin socket. and plug on the light flex. NOT a standard 13 amp socket.
That way, nothing else can be plugged in.

Ah, thanks for this. I was having a similar problem. Is it a full-proof method then, yeah?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:54 am

There are many ways the MK 995 and 997 clock connector was popular at one time but the price has soared the fact it had a 2A fuse in mean it would blow that fuse before taking out all lights if there was a fault but lack of earth connection means they have lost popularity.

The 2A 3 pin plug is nice size but most lighting supplies are 6A using the 5A version they are a bit on the large size.

The AS PCR2000 lighting plug should do the job but it fits into a round conduit box not a square socket box so again although 6A not really ideal.

The walsall plug very like standard 13A but pin goes other way again seem good idea but finding them today is hard.

The German "Schuko" plug does not strictly comply as reversible but they are easy to get and they do look neat. It would seem most countries other than Germany do have polarised plugs and buying plugs and sockets while on holiday you can likely get what you need however UK regulations.

BS 1363 (13A) BS 546 (Old round pins) BS 196 (Old 110 volt) and BS EN 60309-2 (large yellow or blue plugs like used for caravan) are the only plugs we can officially use.

There are also shaver sockets not for use in a bathroom i.e. for charging cordless items again no earth but standard square format.

Last there is the cordless option you can get switches which will power sockets as although switched like a light it is really on the ring final so can use standard 13 amp plug.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

by proptech » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:59 am

As I've said I used to see this often. The idea being that a number of round pin sockets placed round the room, connected to a lighting circuit, and controlled by the light switch or dimmer enabled table or standard lamps to be positioned as needed, and easily controlled.
The important point being that it should not be possible to plug anything other than the lights into those sockets.
Obviously, in most cases, this involves a lot of new wiring, and must be carried out in accordance with the regulations.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:29 pm