joist depth in loft
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pnemickey
Labourer
Labourer

joist depth in loft

by pnemickey » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:34 am

apologies if this is answered elsewhere but i cant find it :oops:
I want to install flooring in my loft, It will not see heavy use such as furniture etc, however, my son wants to use it as a place to seek time to himself, sleep.
I am going to cross joist first for a bit of extra stability, the joists currently installed are 50mm x 75mm, will it be sufficient for me to use 47 x 50mm timber to cross joist it or should I use 50 x 75mm
many thanks

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:49 am

Please see olur project on loft conversions. There are many regulations for turning a loft into living accomodation (which is how it is translated if anyone sleeps or even watches telly in the loft. The fire regulations alone demand that alerations are made so that in the event of an emergency one must be able to leave the loft and go straight to outside air without passing through any other room. The head height regulations come into play as do structural bearings on roof timbers and insulation requirements. In short you canbnot just make a few joists thicker and make a room in the loft. If you do and the work is not certified, your house insurance will not be valid and you leave yourself open for presecution.

pnemickey
Labourer
Labourer

by pnemickey » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:06 pm

thanks for your reply. in light of this I will just use the loft for storage. I would still like to raise the height though for cosmetic purposes. would the 47 x 50 mm timber be sufficent to support the boards?
many thanks

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm