Joist hangers
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cala Sona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Joist hangers

Post by Cala Sona » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:47 pm

The engineers report for out loft conversion requires a double bridle of 195 joists to support the floor at the side of the new opening for a staircase, using hangers at each end.
The problem is that I can fit one hanger but that makes it impossible to fit a second hanger next to it because the flanges bend out at each side. The answer would seem to be a double width hanger to carry the two joists but there does not appear to be such an item available on the market. Likewise hangers with no flange at the side would help but I can't find them in a long enough size to wrap over the supporting joist sufficiently, requiring a length of at least 250mm.
Can anyone help?

CHIPPY2158
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Joist hangers

Post by CHIPPY2158 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:54 am

there are such things as double joist hangers on the market! you can get them from abuilders mercants areound the county! lil jewson etc....
i take it your doubling up the joists for a trimmer for your stairs!
the only way u will strugle to find a double hanger is if u have joists like 9 x 3's or anything over 3" or 150 mm!
there is a company that specaialize in joist hangers n restraint staps call simpson! ut like i said try a local builders merchants! and just ask the person behind the counter and they should be able to help u out!
but what u may find is that the double hanger may be lot thicker so u may have to rebate the overlap of tha hanger in to the top n bottom or the joists so that it doesnt effect the floor boards on top or plasterboards begin fixed on below! hope that helps mate

CHIPPY2158
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Joist hangers

Post by CHIPPY2158 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:03 pm

[quote="Cala Sona"]The engineers report for out loft conversion requires a double bridle of 195 joists to support the floor at the side of the new opening for a staircase, using hangers at each end.
The problem is that I can fit one hanger but that makes it impossible to fit a second hanger next to it because the flanges bend out at each side. The answer would seem to be a double width hanger to carry the two joists but there does not appear to be such an item available on the market. Likewise hangers with no flange at the side would help but I can't find them in a long enough size to wrap over the supporting joist sufficiently, requiring a length of at least 250mm.
Can anyone help?[/quote]

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:46 pm