Junction box wiring-radial
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sparkydelux
Tradesman
Tradesman

Junction box wiring-radial

Post by Sparkydelux » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:41 pm

Hi,
I would like to know if it is permissible to wire a radial 20W downlighter circuit via a junction box.
BUT,The junction box is located at the centre of the run therefore my question is, could I wire up the lighting circuit so that it comes out of the JB and goes different ways (still being switched by the switch) or do I have to run it so that I loop around as one continuous radial?

Please could you advise as I have a feeling it may not be allowed due to radial testing. i would really be grateful if you could provide me with personal experince information.

Regards.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Junction box wiring-radial

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:08 pm

[quote="Sparkydelux"]Hi,
I would like to know if it is permissible to wire a radial 20W downlighter circuit via a junction box.
BUT,The junction box is located at the centre of the run therefore my question is, could I wire up the lighting circuit so that it comes out of the JB and goes different ways (still being switched by the switch) or do I have to run it so that I loop around as one continuous radial?

Please could you advise as I have a feeling it may not be allowed due to radial testing. i would really be grateful if you could provide me with personal experince information.

Regards.[/quote]

SPARKYDELUX
YOU INTEND TO FROM THAT JUNCTION BOX EXTEND A LIGHTING CABLE TO FEED A DOWN LIGHTER.
YOU WOULD BE ALTERING THE CIRCUIT TO A CERTAIN DEGREE , AND
AT THE POSTION OF YOUR NEW LIGHT , TEST READINGS LIKE EARTH LOOP IMPEADANCE WILL BE A NEW QUANTITY AT THIS NEW POSTION.
LOOP IMPEADANCE READINDS DEFINE IF PROTECTIVE DEVICE WILL OPERATE ( YOUR LIGHTING CIRCUIT MCB / FUSE ) UNDER FAULT CONDITIONS .
IT IS FOR THIS REASON WHY IT WOULD BE ADVISABLE TO GET IN YOUR
LOCAL REGISTERED ELECTRCIAN TO TEST INSPECT AND CERTIFY.

BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:24 pm

HI not entirely sure what you are wanting to do, but if you have a run of cable going between 2 existing lights & want to cut in and add a light & its own switch then no problem at all. if you want to add a light to be switched by original sw. then you can only do it at the existing light, more info please, regards
SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:22 am