Kitchen plumbing
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thedoctor

Kitchen plumbing

by thedoctor » Tue May 30, 2006 5:12 pm

To post a question for a Diy Doctor tradesman or your fellow users, to answer please click on “New Topicâ€
Last edited by thedoctor on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomlister
Labourer
Labourer

Blocked drain

by tomlister » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:37 pm

Hello,

I have what seems to be an unusual problem, but hopefully not a difficult one to solve. We have a kitchen which used to overlook our back garden, but has had a conservatory built onto the external wall. This means that our "outside" drain leading from the kitchen sink and washing machine is now indoors. The problem is that the drain has become clogged up with fat and all kinds of lovely smelling things.
I have tried to unclog it using a screwdriver (not that helpful), my hands (not much fun) and eventually some thick bleach. This has worked in the past but now we still have standing water in the drain all of the time.
I have looked over the website and it seems as if drain rods are the most appropriate tool, but I am no expert and would like your advice. The main problem is that I'm unsure as to the whereabouts of the man hole, and even if I can access it (physically or legally).
Also, my mother has suggested caustic soda, is this a viable alternative?

Thank you for reading this and I hope you can help,

Tom Lister

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:45 am

HI Tom, Caustic soda can be tried but it sounds like a blockage somewhere down the line and drain rods are the most likely answer. They are not expensive and a handy tool to have around. You can buy them from the unblocking drains project. You will need to do some detective work to find the manhole but once you have, make sure you only twist the drain rods clockwise when using them to rod. The reasons for this are in the project.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:16 pm

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION. CLICK HERE www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:15 pm