kitchen unit down lights and ceiling light/fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
johnno
Labourer
Labourer

kitchen unit down lights and ceiling light/fan

by johnno » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:21 am

hi can anyone help me please i've just fitted a new kitchen and i put down lights under the wall units could i wire low voltage ones to a light switch if so how could i do it as i would like to change the single light ( witch switches on the main kitchen light) to a double if this is possiable

i have also replaced my ceiling light with a ceiling light fan but it will not switch on/off at the switch on the wall it works on the pull cord fine

many thanks

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: kitchen unit down lights and ceiling light/fan

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:24 pm

[quote="johnno"]hi can anyone help me please i've just fitted a new kitchen and i put down lights under the wall units could i wire low voltage ones to a light switch if so how could i do it as i would like to change the single light ( witch switches on the main kitchen light) to a double if this is possiable

i have also replaced my ceiling light with a ceiling light fan but it will not switch on/off at the switch on the wall it works on the pull cord fine

many thanks[/quote]

Johnno
Did u inform local authority building control , or did you enlist the help of your local part p registered electrician ?

BLAKEY1963

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Once you have registered the job with the LABC then you will need to take a supply from the ceiling rose to the light switch and from there to any new lamps easy way is to use a double pole switch so you don't need to fit a junction for neutral in the switch.
There are pictures in the project area and if you have questions then best to relate these to the pictures.
The ceiling rose as shown has both un-switched and switched line plus neutral and earth so four sets of connections the switch does not normally have a neutral so no extra lights can be connected to the switch.
Low voltage means over 50vac and under a 1000vac if you mean Extra Low Voltage below 50vac then you must say that on your application.
You will also be required to submit a inspection and test either as insulation certificate or minor works certificate the LABC don't have to accept your readings but if they don't then they did have to pay for testing but that rule has changed and they can pass on any expenses now so I would say your looking at around the £200 to £300 mark to pay council and hire test equipment. For such a small job it would be cheaper not to DIY.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:31 pm