Kitchen unit is part chipboard - painting problem
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
banzy
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen unit is part chipboard - painting problem

by banzy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi,

I'm a complete and utter DIY novice, and with an apartment at least hundred years old, and a kitchen quite literally out of the 1960's, I was looking to do a little bit of renovation on a budget.

I had been under the impression the kitchen units were of high quality - designed and custom built to fit the kitchen. I bought the various bits and pieces to sand down the wood, treat it and then paint it, but as I pulled down the veneer (which didn't prove hard given its age), it seems the main frame of the unit is good wood, but the sides, underside and doors are chipboard!
I really don't want to go down the veneer route again, but I would imagine chipboard is quite porous and not particular suited to painting, and am not sure my current product would properly seal it anyway. I was wondering if anybody out there could tell me what my options might be? Is is possible to get some product that could give it a smoother surface receptive to painting? There's another unit like the one in the photograph facing opposite, 3 cupboards wide by 2 high. They're also highly placed, and a step-ladder is needed to get access to the high ones, but it's a small kitchen so these units are vital.

[img]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2009/9583-cupboard.jpg[/img]

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:20 pm

Hello and welcome

If you've stripped the "veneer" off you are going to need new units - sorry. There's no way that you are going to get anywhere trying to paint chipboard.

Afraid your link doesn't work. Can you check it please?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:40 pm