Kitchen Wiring Loose and Lying on Floor After Kitchen Install
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Leonm
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen Wiring Loose and Lying on Floor After Kitchen Install

by Leonm » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:35 pm

Hoping for some advice. We are currently having a new kitchen installed but electrical work is extra. The electrician has tried it on for a few things but has been put straight. I would of kicked him off of the job but he is also the installer for the kitchen though subs this out. Part of the electrical install is under cabinet lighting and various socket moves and a new feed for an electric oven. The work completed has been okay, not perfect and I have been left with a lot of filling to do.

My main concern is he has run new cabling under the base units which is simply lying on the floor. This seems to also include a double socket which is on a pattress but also lying on the floor under the units. The base units will have pelmets on so you won't see the wiring but it goes past a dishwasher and a sink. I am worried that is there is ever a leak this could compromise the electrics. Would anyone know if this is normal practise or should I be concerned?

Found this forum very useful but couldn't find a similar issue or answer. Thanks in advance.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Kitchen Wiring Loose and Lying on Floor After Kitchen Install

by ericmark » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:41 pm

Warranty of skill and good working practice says you should follow safe routes and so to have cables which droop onto the floor is clearly wrong.

However as to danger that is a completely different story no one is likely to drill through the cables and cables are water proof it's only the joints where water causes a problem.

What is really required is is for the safety devices to work. For a ring on a 32A type B we look for 1.44 ohms or less earth loop impedance to ensure with a short it will trip quickly. Also you don't want too much of a volt drop so with a TN-C-S system looking at less than one ohm.

So you need a minor works or installation certificate which should always be provided and means the electrician is putting his name to the work he has done so even in 9 years time you could be taking him to court for errors. This fact means electricians who are not following expected practice are loathed to sign the documentation and making it pain you want it normally means they will toe the line.

Telling a white lie like my insurance requires me to forward copies will normally mean although he may break the rules he will limit the extent to ensure no come backs.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:24 am