Kitchen Worktop and Unit Material Query
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gem13
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen Worktop and Unit Material Query

by Gem13 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:54 am

Could someone tell me please, what is used in the Spanish or Greek style kitchens to create the white smooth plaster effect? Are they bricks with plaster over? Breeze blocks with plaster over? What is the worktop made out of and is it a special type of plaster? I attach 3 images to show what I mean. I’d like to create whole units, worktop and spaces for in built ovens to fit
Many thanks

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Kitchen Worktop and Unit Material Query

by collectors » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:47 am

You will find the paster type local to that area. When you start getting to mid & southern europe they use a type of clay that they sort of ferment in ground pits, then on site they mix with sand & some water. They use this in different mixes on walls & floors. The clay is brilliant white in colour so quite often doesn't even need painting. This is why some sites abroad look very white. I know in Israel they call it seed & its the same as working with clay "really hard work"
The work tops abroad are quite often made of granite or somtimes concrete. as they stay nice & cool in the hot weather when working with food.

Gem13
Labourer
Labourer

by Gem13 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:30 pm

collectors wrote:You will find the paster type local to that area. When you start getting to mid & southern europe they use a type of clay that they sort of ferment in ground pits, then on site they mix with sand & some water. They use this in different mixes on walls & floors. The clay is brilliant white in colour so quite often doesn't even need painting. This is why some sites abroad look very white. I know in Israel they call it seed & its the same as working with clay "really hard work"
The work tops abroad are quite often made of granite or somtimes concrete. as they stay nice & cool in the hot weather when working with food.

Gem13
Labourer
Labourer

by Gem13 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks v much for your reply. I suppose then, that means it’s out to try anything like it in this county...

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:14 pm