knocking Out A Bricked Up Door To Divide 2 Rooms
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greyhoundlady
Labourer
Labourer

knocking Out A Bricked Up Door To Divide 2 Rooms

by greyhoundlady » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:25 pm

I need to put a door back into the hall so I can divide our through lounge back into two rooms as I need to use one as a bedroom. I have started to remove the plaster in the hall there is a hairline crack in the plaster so I had a good idea where to look and have found the plaster is a very fine skim with what appears to be a inch of cement under it,it is very hard and I am struggling to knock it off, the brick work is built with the same mix. I have never done this before I am presuming that if the door way was here before they will just have removed the frame and bricked it up, so I can just knock it out and install a door liner? I my plan is to continue to chip the plaster off then drill through the morter till I can knock the bricks free. The house was built about 1935 and this was probably done in the 1970's it is a mid terrace and there is a wall upstairs above this one but I am not sure if they are connected as I know some of the walls upstairs are built on top of the floorboards. I am a carer and a single mum and cannot employ a builder as money is very tight and I already am having to use this room as a bedroom but I am quite able for a unskilled mum I just need to know how to do things My son will help he is autistic and had done carpentry level 2 so I am hoping we can do the carpentry bit if he thinks about it. I am just unsure if there should be a lintle and if there should how to install one. I have watched my dad put one in in the past but have never done one myself. Thanks for your help

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: knocking Out A Bricked Up Door To Divide 2 Rooms

by welsh brickie » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:31 pm

don't start knocking any bricks out without inspecting the lintol, if there is one. Take the plaster off first where the lintol is supposed to be.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:23 am