Landing Light Switch and Connecting Existing 4 Wires in to 3 in new Switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Deneva
Labourer
Labourer

Landing Light Switch and Connecting Existing 4 Wires in to 3 in new Switch

by Deneva » Wed May 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Just moved into new home, well its new to us, about 22 years old. Been replacing sockets and light s witches with more modern MK ones. In hall there is a three gand switch which controls outside lamp, hall light and landing light, on landing is a single gand switch which also works landing light. I purchased a MK single gang two way switch, this has three terminals in it 1,2 and common, the old landing switch is a single gang Volex switch, but this has four terminals numbered 1 and 2 top and bottom of switch, with a single wire going into each terminal, also in the back box is a pair of wires looped together with a single terminal strip. How do i connect the four wires to the three terminals on new switch.MK dont seem to sell one with four terminals. Any advice appreciated, not to technical, only have basic tools,

Thanks

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Landing Light Switch and Connecting Existing 4 Wires in to 3 in new Switch

by chriscba » Thu May 24, 2018 10:50 am

Looks like the switch that has 4 terminals in an intermediate switch, (middle switch of 3 way switching) is there another switch somewhere that operates the landing light other than downstairs.

you will have to purchase an intermediate switch.

Deneva
Labourer
Labourer

by Deneva » Thu May 24, 2018 6:58 pm

I feel so stupid now, yes there is another 2 gang switch further along on the landing which controls the landing light, plus it switches a uplighter wall lamp, I forgot about it as we rarely use it for the landing light. I will look to see if I can get a intermediate switch now. Would I also need a two gang intermediate switch as well now for this other switch. Were just updating the sockets and switches, Wiring is all ok.

Thanks for the reply

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu May 24, 2018 8:55 pm

To elaborate on what chriscba said.

The switch with 4 terminals that you have is called an Intermediate switch.
It is used with 2 way switching (It's commonly known as 2 way and intermediate)

The switch downstairs will be one place to switch the landing light on / off,
The intermediate will be another place to switch the landing light on and off,
and their is a 3rd switch position to switch the landing light on / off. (you just have not mentioned it / found it yet)

The reasoning that there is a 3rd switch is that the intermediate switch is wired correctly and working.

MK do make intermediate switches (as do other companies) You can get the MK one if you click Here

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu May 24, 2018 11:10 pm

Deneva wrote:Would I also need a two gang intermediate switch as well now for this other switch.

No. (They don't make one anyway) You need a 2 gang 2 way switch.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:13 pm