Landlord Safety Checks
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dan2071
Apprentice
Apprentice

Landlord Safety Checks

by Dan2071 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:12 pm

Hey all, I was wondering if someone could give me some insight to the usualy prices of a landlord safety check? I am only 20 and i ve been self employed for over a year now. I have an absolutly brilliant customer base which is growing out of control.

Anyway, i have alot of landlords on my books who have asked me to do landlord safety checks, I have one landlord who i have an agreement that i will do all of his safety checks with services for £50 and i have another who wants me to do them for £25 just for a safety check.

I was just wondering what people usualy charge for a house with say 2 appliances in it?

Thanks, Dan

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:13 pm

£50 seems fair, as you're cheaper than larger national companies for servicing, as for safety checks I would say £35 - that way it seems a better deal to pay the £50 and get the appliances serviced too.

I work for a company so the pricing side has nothing to do with me, I'm 25 - and have toyed with the idea of working for myself. The only thing putting me off is the amount of vans driving about now, there must be lots of competition and my job is pretty safe with a decent wage. Although many Registered Gas Installers round here - want to do just that - install. There seems to be a gap in the repairs/servicing side of business - one day maybe.

htg

Dan2071
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Dan2071 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:00 pm

Well i do prefere install but for the time being i grab everything. I find that you dont need to be all knowing just providing your honest with them and dont mess people around there happy. Plus having a dad who has worked at British Gas on Install for the past 40 years does have it bonuses.

I wish there was a set price list! Would make my life soo much easier! I am going to have to get out of the habit of saying " Just give us a fiver to cover fuel "

Dan

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:19 pm

When the little old dear who has just given you more biscuits and tea than you thought existed in the world, the phrase "just give us a fiver for the petrol" comes out far too often!

I'm a little more ruthless i'm afraid to say regarding the landlord safety checks but I am self employed as well. I ask for £60 but include in this any minor repairs like seals and that for example. A full service is on top of this but the two together would never usually top £100.

The one thing to remember is that although you get 50 landlord certificated to a pack for a tenner (effecitvely 20p each), it is the ACS and years of training and experience that the customer is paying for.

The one thing I notice is that a one off deal, it is possible to get any amount you choose (not rogue trader amounts of course) of but if you have a landlord with several houses, he is going to want a good deal in return for all the work. Sometimes it is worth dropping the price to gain the volume of work.

Be wary thought, some landlords just try it on for a cheap deal.

AH.

Dan2071
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Dan2071 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Well i know what you mean with landlords trying it on, I have this landlord and he has over 100 houses. I ve just reciently sacked him off because pretty much every house i was going round to, i was capping things off.

He wasn't a keen believer in servicing or any work at all to be honest.

Anyway back to the landlords trying it on, he told me he was getting them done for £25 a house last year and the guy was doing 10 houses a day so for £250 a day, i wasnt doing too bad. To which i replied, thats not the point.

I know from my sources that last year he got really hammered on price because he had environmental health on his back.

Dan

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:37 pm

That sounds like it was for the best to part ways. If you missed one little thing and gave him a certificate, you could have been up the proverbial creek without a paddle if out bad happened.

Dan2071
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Dan2071 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:07 pm

Thats what i thought so i ve got rid, my mate has taken over because he needs the work. I ve tried warning him but he is obviously willing to take the risk.

Dan

CMairiD
Labourer
Labourer

by CMairiD » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:31 am

Post deleted. If you would like to advertise please see our advertisers section.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:57 pm