Laying a Mosaic Over old Crazy Paving?
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Puddleduck
Labourer
Labourer

Laying a Mosaic Over old Crazy Paving?

Post by Puddleduck » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:14 am

Hi All,

I've got a large old patio made of random concrete slab shapes. Each year I weed it and fill in some of the cracks but by the next spring (or even end of that summer) the filling has broken or crumbled (I used mortar as previously advised but think I might have used the wrong type!).

I'm fed up with it looking rubbish and was wondering whether it would be possible to overlay it with a pebble mosaic (something like the one here: http://2ff8n03drmib1b12373aauek-wpengin ... tio_15.jpg ). I was thinking to do this with concrete over the top of the slabs as the patio is raised a good two foot above the lawn level, has hardcore underneath and therefore freezing / frosts won't be an issue.

My questions are:

Is it possible to use the existing patio as a Base or do I really need to dig it all up and start again?

What type of concrete would be appropriate? And what depth of concrete would be needed to stop this cracking too?

I've seen a video that recommended mortar to stick things down then grout to fill the gaps. Do you think this would work, and if so what type of grout would you recommend?

Many thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

moomingirl
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Laying a Mosaic Over old Crazy Paving?

Post by moomingirl » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:27 am

Just did mine with sand and cement mortar mix.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:00 am