Laying Crazy Paving Over Existing Concrete
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

VikkiG1972
Labourer
Labourer

Laying Crazy Paving Over Existing Concrete

by VikkiG1972 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:25 am

Hi all -

I've searched through the site but can't find anything that specifically deals with my question...

I have a 1930's semi detached house; the garden is a reasonable size but there is absolutely LOADS of concrete everywhere. I don't want to break it up and get rid of it - it's over 6 inches deep in places. The area I want to deal with at the moment is directly outside the back of the house which is used as a patio. I'd like to cover it with paving to liven it up a bit and am planning to leave approx 6" all the way around to be filled with gravel.

Can I simply use a sand and cement mix to lay the slabs directly on top of the cleaned concrete and if so, what thickness does the mix need to be? also, I've currently got a 2" gap between the current concrete and two doorsteps (one from a conservatory and another from the kitchen) Will there be enough clearance, bearing in mind there will be a 6" gravel border all the way around...

All help greatly appreciated as I'm a complete novice when it comes to DIY!

Many thanks.

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:53 am