Laying Laminate Flooring
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
photo girl
Labourer
Labourer

Laying Laminate Flooring

by photo girl » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:58 pm

I am thinking about having a go laying some laminate flooring by myself! I have read through the forums and got some good tips. The room is just about square with one window and one door. Should I start laying the laminate from the straight wall side which is opposite the door or from the wall with the door on it? I would be grateful for any reply. Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:38 pm

photo girl,
I would always start on the side furthest from the door, the only down side is that when you get to the door you need some accurate cutting to fit the door frame. This way if you damage the floor (in the doorway is the most likely place) replacement of the doorside boards is easy.
Others will argue you should start at the doorway side so you can fit the boards under the door frame - a nightmare if you ever want to replace the board under the door.
end

watcha
Apprentice
Apprentice

by watcha » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi

Personally I would start at the door side of the room. Remember you have to maintain approx 10mm expansion gap around the room, this is covered with edging strips (scotia) either in a colour to match the flooring. Or, as I have done before, buy beading and paint it white to match the skirting board, it then appears as an extension to the skirting... paint both at the same time. Importantly only fasten the edging to the skirting board and not the floor.... this must be able to flex and move, hence the name floating floor. Also, fit a descent underlay laid in the opposite direction the laminate floor goes. Bothe Wickes and B&Q have downloadable 'how to leaflets'... Or check ou the DIY Doctor Projects section: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

Hope this helps

eastwood flooring
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Laying Laminate Flooring

by eastwood flooring » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:19 pm

[quote="photo girl"]I am thinking about having a go laying some laminate flooring by myself! I have read through the forums and got some good tips. The room is just about square with one window and one door. Should I start laying the laminate from the straight wall side which is opposite the door or from the wall with the door on it? I would be grateful for any reply. Thanks.[/quote]
Yes i agree with watch, start at the door and work away from it. undercut the door frame and architrave by the thickness of the flooring and underlay and chisel the little lumps out. that way you get a nice hidden finish with no gaps and the flooring still has room to expand if it needs to.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:35 am