Laying of electricity cables. Npower insist on being NERS accredited??
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Amanda29
Apprentice
Apprentice

Laying of electricity cables. Npower insist on being NERS accredited??

by Amanda29 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:01 am

We are building our own house and I need npower to do the electricity connection. However we are using a contractor to do this as npower wanted £30k. They now won’t connect unless the contractor is NERS accredited. Our contractor has all the relevant accreditation to do the work but just isn’t NERS accredited Seems like they have us over a barrel. Has anyone else had this? Any ideas how it can be resolved? Thanks

mckaymmc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Laying of electricity cables. Npower insist on being NERS accredited??

by mckaymmc1 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:03 pm

Hi

If the cables are being adopted by the DNO (Distribution network operation = the local utility company) then they can assist on NERS registration and I believe they all do.

You have stated N power are insisting on this - Npower arent a DNO and dont own any utility infrastructure so not sure why they can insist on anything.

If it is a new build then I would suggest you need to talk to ICPs - Independent connection providers. The NERS register will have a list of those who are registered to work in your area. 30k seems a lot - have you checked and challenged this?

Amanda29
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Laying of electricity cables. Npower insist on being NERS accredited??

by Amanda29 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:11 am

Thanks very much I should have said northern power grid not npower. Apparently our contractor can do the work but we have to get an NERS registered company to lay the cable. But thanks again for the response!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:17 am