Laying vinyl and a DPM on an uneven concrete floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NotGreatAtDIY
Labourer
Labourer

Laying vinyl and a DPM on an uneven concrete floor

by NotGreatAtDIY » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:58 pm

I have an uneven concrete floor in the downstairs hallway. By this I mean the whole floor is on a horizontal slant (the left is lower than the right). From what I understand some self levelling compound will fix this right up. To finish the floor I want to lay down some vinyl flooring (not vinyl tiles), and from my research it seems a damp proof membrane is advisable because of the concrete. Finally, the vinyl supplier recommends a screed to be laid before the vinyl. My question is: in what order should these be laid (if indeed they are all needed)?
At first glance I would guess: self levelling compound, DPM, screed, vinyl. But I've also seen there is such a thing as self levelling screed. In this case would DPM, self levelling screed, vinyl suffice?
Also what kind of thickness would I be adding in each case?
Thanks in advance

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Laying vinyl and a DPM on an uneven concrete floor

by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:50 pm

Hi notgreatatdiy
If your house is post ww2 a DPM should already be installed. Use the self levelling and allow to dry thoroughly before laying vinyl.
Regards S

NotGreatAtDIY
Labourer
Labourer

by NotGreatAtDIY » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:36 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the house is pre ww2 and there is no dpm installed. Out of interest, did you mean lay self levelling compound or lay self levelling screed?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:16 pm

Hi notgreatatdiy,
I mix the two terms self levelling screed and self levelling compound - they are the same thing.
Your requirement to incorporate a DPM on your existing floor will be difficult. You could paint the existing floor with a liquid DPM sand blind it and then use self levelling compound to give a finished level surface. You will have to accept that this will be like a layer of toffee and may separate from the DPM.
The compound you choose will specify min/max thicknesses.
Regards S

NotGreatAtDIY
Labourer
Labourer

by NotGreatAtDIY » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:46 am

Thanks stoneyboy that really clears things up!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:41 pm