Leak on central heating valve advice on how to fix needed please?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paulyv
Labourer
Labourer

Leak on central heating valve advice on how to fix needed please?

by paulyv » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:44 pm

Hello there, I hope you are well. Please forgive my first post being a question rather than a greeting to the group.

I have found that when under pressure the central heating system in our flat leaks from a certain point as photographed below. This appears to be a screw-in valve which comes to a dead end. The system has been working perfectly up until this week but now has no pressure. when I pressurise the system it leaks (sprays) from the threaded screw joint at the point photographed below. Now the pressure has dropped back to 0 bar there is only light moisture on the seal and the occasional drip.

I have tightened the joint as much as I dare but with no favourable results - it still leaks as a spray under pressure until any pressure subsides. The joint did have some sort of hardened putty-like material on it, although I doubt that kept the pressurised water in by itself.

In the photograph below the leak is around the thread to the right of the second larger nut area on which the spanner fits and turns - you can see a little residual moisture there in the photographs.

Could I ask for any advice regards whether I should get a new part here? Clearly I could replace the part that screws in (the left of the joint), but that surely would not guarantee it is the main pipe part of the thread that is damaged. Thank you in advance for any advice you are able to offer.

Paul

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Leak on central heating valve advice on how to fix needed please?

by stoneyboy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:37 pm

Hi paulyv
Suggest you buy a new lockshield valve and replace the existing one - look round for one with the same threads and dimensions.
Regards S

paulyv
Labourer
Labourer

by paulyv » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:50 pm

Thank you Stoneyboy - I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

So I am actually replacing the 'T'-shaped part - connecting at the top and the bottom. That seem clear. Does anyone know if these tend to come in standard sizes between the two pipes it will be connected to?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi paulyv
Since your system is not working it's best to remove the valve and go round your local merchants with it in your hand so you have a direct comparison.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1