Leaking 10mm manifold
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
buzzbomb
Labourer
Labourer

Leaking 10mm manifold

Post by buzzbomb » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:52 pm

When moving my bathroom radiator I had to reposition some of the 10mm copper pipes under the floorboards. Although I was very careful when repostioning the pipes I noticed a slight wetness at one of the manifold soldered joints. (a 22 x 2 10mmx22 soldered fitting) The pressure is still off the system at present so it is hardly noticable. Reluctant to put the water back on until I try and fix it.Can anyone offer some suggestions on the best way to fix this. ie solder in situ , poxy putty etc. :(

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:46 am

Soldering wet pipe is a no no. It just won't work and you cannot guarantee you can get the joint dry in situ. Best to remove the offending joint completely and solder in a new one. That may mean, in your case, replacing the manifold by the sound of it.

Cheers

buzzbomb
Labourer
Labourer

Post by buzzbomb » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:20 pm

thnks for the reply Rosebery. Think I realised this was correct option but the thought of desoldering 2x22m joints and 2 10mm joints in a confined space is not really too appealing. Was wondering if anyone has tried something like Locite repair express putty given it is a new leak and probably not too big. ?

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

Post by acsimpson » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:09 pm

I have tried using the putty with mixed results, although it is as far as I'm aware only ever meant to be a temporary repair. It cannot hold high pressue (ie didn't work on my weeping joint at mains pressue) and isn't great if the joint is wet at the time you apply it.

If you want sound advice I would listen to roseberry. If you want to bodge it and hope for the best then on your own head be it.

buzzbomb
Labourer
Labourer

Post by buzzbomb » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:09 pm

thanks for the replies guys. Got a friend to help and we drained the system and ran some solder round the joint and thankfully it worked ok. :D :D :D
Once again thanks for the input

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1