Leaking bleed valve
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stevewalden
Labourer
Labourer

Leaking bleed valve

Post by stevewalden » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:18 am

Hi
I've just fitted a new radiator & the bleed valve is leaking. I don't have the receipt so can't take the rad back. Any idea of the best way to fix the leak?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:52 pm

The actual valve itself or the "bit you screwed in to the rad". Sorry to appear condescending but I really can't remember what it's called at this precise moment.

It should have had a O ring to provide the seal. Did it? You also have to screw them in quite hard. Perhaps it just needs tighetning up a bit.

Also the bleed valve should have it's own rubber seal. If not fitted it won't do up properly.

Best check these two first I would say.

Cheers

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

Post by The Heating Doctor » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:02 pm

If your radiator is brand new then you should not need a receipt, go back from where you bought it and explain the problem, they may even have spares lying around because many radiator manufacturers supply merchants with spares in case the radiator may have been supplied with parts missing. It happens quite a lot. If this does not appeal, then if leaking from a thread wrap p.t.f.e. tape around the thread and reseat.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:43 pm

HD

Would you normally PTFE a fitting that also has an O ring?

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:32 pm

I agree with The Heating Doctor

Rosebery, where in stevewalden's post does it say the bleed vent or nipple has an O ring ?

I have fitted many radiators, and not a single one has had a 'O' ring anywhere on them. I know some radiators have, but not all.

That's how people get confused in these forum's - by jumping to conclusions. Steve has probably been looking for an 'O' ring that isn't there.

I always ask people if i'm unsure or if I need more information.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

Post by The Heating Doctor » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:34 pm

No not normally,but its worth a try under the circumstances.

stevewalden
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks for all your help

Post by stevewalden » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:39 am

The PTFE tape worked a treat & the radiator is now leak free. Many thanks for all your help.

By the way there isn't an O ring on the bit I was talking about. It's just the small screw at the top of the radiator that allows air out when undone.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1