Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

Erica
Labourer
Labourer

Leaky Concealed Shower and Leak Coming From Cooker Hood

by Erica » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi all,
I’m hoping someone can help me.
On Friday I noticed water dripping from our cooler hood while my husband was in the shower. Not loads but enough to create a puddle on the stove top.
We removed the bath panel to check for leaks but all was dry on the floor under the bath. What we did notice was wet plaster on the wall behind where the shower plumbing would be.
We tried looking up in to the cavity but basically there are two flexible pipes travelling up but they are blocked in by pieces of wood so literally nothing can be seen of the pipe work for the shower.
So having done a bit of digging online we read that there are two points where it could be leaking and one would require removal of tiles. We tried checking the easiest first.
The outside of the shower is like this: bottom is the shower hose elbow joint with a shower hose and above that it the tap (single mixer tap) then the bar holding the shower head.
I took off the elbow joint but I can’t see much further inside to the plumbing. What I can see is a bit of wood around the pipe which appears pretty damp, the caulking/ foam around the pipe which has become fairly brittle and black in places and a bit of plaster board directly behind the pipe which looks dry.
We live in a hard water area so everything is pretty caked in limescale.

Basically, is there any way to tell is this could be where the leak is coming from or is it a call a plumber and remove the tiles type of job?
Could it be originating at the mixer tap?
Thanks in advance

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:00 am