lean-to Roof Replacement or Fashing Options - Opinions Needed
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jonny guitar
Labourer
Labourer

lean-to Roof Replacement or Fashing Options - Opinions Needed

by jonny guitar » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:07 pm

]Hi all,
roof 1 smll2.jpg
roof 2 smll2.jpg

This is a picture of a toilet lean-to on the back of our house. The roof has always had flash band as a seal, we had the left hand wall rendered last year leaving the roof in it’s current poor condition so it needs a re-roof.

I have several questions-

Should I just go about replacing all the slates or is there a better more modern approach Eg. plastic sheet, I should consider?

If I replace slates how should I approach the flashing issue?- I’ve never done lead flashing and am a bit worried about it being nicked. Are there any alternatives? (flashband again?)

I’m also a bit worried about the soil pipe being so close to the wall, what’s the best way of going about sealing/flashing this to a new roof? Would I have to get some sort of collar/ boot over the top of the pipe?

Lastly, has anyone got any idea how much a roofer would charge for doing this? (I’m near Cardiff)

Huge thanks for any replies, Jon

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: lean-to Roof Replacement or Fashing Options - Opinions Needed

by welsh brickie » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:42 pm

to do a proper job the soilpipe needs to be removed and a lead slate installed, basically its a aluminium plate with a rubber seal that fits around the soilpipe snuggly, then with the pipe removed a cut in the render can be made with a diamond blade saw, then the lead flashing can be inserted in the gap and sealed to the roof, then reinstate the pipe

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:54 pm