LED Lamp Information - What Colours for What Rooms?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JohnPhilips1987
Apprentice
Apprentice

LED Lamp Information - What Colours for What Rooms?

by JohnPhilips1987 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi guys, just joined this forum for hopefully some sound advice on various things, one of them being LED Lamps. Got a customer who wants to change all the halogen lamps in their home over to LED Lamps and was wondering what colours suit certain rooms? Or doesn't it matter? Kinda new to this so sorry if I sound like a completely amateur! Thanks in advance!

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: LED Lamp Information - What Colours for What Rooms?

by collectors » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:33 am

Hi, LED's are moving along at a rate of nott's these days, but i would look at lamps at around the 2500k as warm white & 6000k as daylight. The ones above 6000k can start to look a bit blue. If the money is not a problem, i would go for a 4000k -6000k 7 watt as you get more light than a 50w halogen & you can always pop a dimmer on the lights. But make sure the lamps are dimmable as many cheap ones are not.
"Dimmers" you need to use the right type of dimmer & these tend to work from 10watt's upwards, so make sure you have enough lamps on 1 switch.
I have noticed that led's also dont always dim as smooth as normal lighting, but maybey this might improve with time.
We have fitted many of the Megaman 141827 7w Daylight Dimmable GU10 Lamp's & have had no problems with them, but they are around £12 per lamp if you shop around. They also have a better uniform look to them.
You will save a lot of money on the bills using these, but it will take ages to recoupe the costs at the price of lamps these days.

JohnPhilips1987
Apprentice
Apprentice

by JohnPhilips1987 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:33 pm

collectors wrote:Hi, LED's are moving along at a rate of nott's these days, but i would look at lamps at around the 2500k as warm white & 6000k as daylight. The ones above 6000k can start to look a bit blue. If the money is not a problem, i would go for a 4000k -6000k 7 watt as you get more light than a 50w halogen & you can always pop a dimmer on the lights. But make sure the lamps are dimmable as many cheap ones are not.
"Dimmers" you need to use the right type of dimmer & these tend to work from 10watt's upwards, so make sure you have enough lamps on 1 switch.
I have noticed that led's also dont always dim as smooth as normal lighting, but maybey this might improve with time.
We have fitted many of the Megaman 141827 7w Daylight Dimmable GU10 Lamp's & have had no problems with them, but they are around £12 per lamp if you shop around. They also have a better uniform look to them.
You will save a lot of money on the bills using these, but it will take ages to recoupe the costs at the price of lamps these days.

Ah, right, thanks for the info! Well I've found some decent LEDs on a site I've been recommended called Quickbit. Think they're Kosnic? Here's a link to them; http://quickbit.co.uk/GU10-LED-Lamps
Don't know whether they're any good but they're priced really well compared to the other sites I've been on.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:40 pm

Daylight 5500k
Cloudy 6500k
Shade 7500k
Tungsten 2850k
Fluorescent 3800k
Photographic Flash 5500k
These are from Photoshop to set RAW files and it would seem most LED lamps tend to be 3000k considered as warm white although to me they seem a little on the white side. Looking at a photo inside a pub to get correct colours was around the 3400k mark outside as a result looked very blue.

The big problem is lumen it seems there are many ways standards and although one would expect that 3800 lumen with CFL would be brighter than 2400 lumen with LED but I found this was not the case the LED lights where much brighter. I have used 3 watt LED lamps and found them rather bright 3 for £10 in local supermarket GU10 at around £3 each if not quite what you want no problem but at £10 a lamp rather a expensive error if they are not correct.

I find also CFL do not last as they should. With a florescent lamp 18W top of my stairs second hand to start with it lasted 15 years and the larger 58W in kitchen again around 10 years each but of 18 x 8W Philips CFL after 3 years only 6 left working the LED lamps have not been in long enough to really know no 230vac failures but some 12vac units have failed OK cheap 0.58W and £1 each but I had not expected any failures under 10 years old and reading up on LED it would seem manufacture has some huge differences with heat sinks and so there life. Also some it would seem expose live parts and clearly nothing on advert to say danger do not touch when switched on and since cool running one is tempted to change bulb while live.

JohnPhilips1987
Apprentice
Apprentice

by JohnPhilips1987 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:19 am

ericmark wrote:Daylight 5500k
Cloudy 6500k
Shade 7500k
Tungsten 2850k
Fluorescent 3800k
Photographic Flash 5500k
These are from Photoshop to set RAW files and it would seem most LED lamps tend to be 3000k considered as warm white although to me they seem a little on the white side. Looking at a photo inside a pub to get correct colours was around the 3400k mark outside as a result looked very blue.

The big problem is lumen it seems there are many ways standards and although one would expect that 3800 lumen with CFL would be brighter than 2400 lumen with LED but I found this was not the case the LED lights where much brighter. I have used 3 watt LED lamps and found them rather bright 3 for £10 in local supermarket GU10 at around £3 each if not quite what you want no problem but at £10 a lamp rather a expensive error if they are not correct.

I find also CFL do not last as they should. With a florescent lamp 18W top of my stairs second hand to start with it lasted 15 years and the larger 58W in kitchen again around 10 years each but of 18 x 8W Philips CFL after 3 years only 6 left working the LED lamps have not been in long enough to really know no 230vac failures but some 12vac units have failed OK cheap 0.58W and £1 each but I had not expected any failures under 10 years old and reading up on LED it would seem manufacture has some huge differences with heat sinks and so there life. Also some it would seem expose live parts and clearly nothing on advert to say danger do not touch when switched on and since cool running one is tempted to change bulb while live.

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the detailed information! I've decided to go with the warm white coloured lamp as they're going to be installed into a living room and I've been told by various sources that they make the room look warmer.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:50 am