Led Lights and Tripping Fuse
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
trago123
Labourer
Labourer

Led Lights and Tripping Fuse

Post by trago123 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Heard a bang in the kitchen, trip the main fuse. I went to change the bulb and I was faced with this. I have never experienced LED’s before. Not too sure what direction to go in. Can anyone please advise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is this safe??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Led Lights and Tripping Fuse

Post by Mr White » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:51 pm

Sorry, I for one do not understand your question. Could you be more specific?
Exactly what happened and what did you do?
Why do you say it is that light, have you reset what tripped? what now does not work?

trago123
Labourer
Labourer

Post by trago123 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:27 pm

Sorry for not being clearer. When I turned on the light switch I heard a bang from the light in the picture. I thought it was just a bulb. When I opened up the cover I saw that it was led strips. The clear box between the led’s has black scoring inside so something has happened in there. The light does not work now. Can I just replace the box and do you where I can get one from please.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:46 pm

The "Box" is what is known as a driver.
You would need to find out what the rating of the failed driver is (Hopefully printed on it) and then search for a new one that is the same.

The down side is if you do get another one, it may be one of the led strips has shorted causing the driver to fail, so replacing it will cause the new driver to fail. It is improbable but none the less possible, I would check the LED strips, but as you can't do that, you will either have to find a new driver and take a chance or buy a different light fitting.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:53 pm

LED is a current dependent device, some how some way we have to limit how much current it draws, could be simple resistor, or a capacitor or a complex electronic unit.

Looking at the picture it looks as if some one has converted a lamp to use LED's and I would be considering a new lamp.

However it looks as if it is a old fluorescent fitting likely 2 foot square and finding a replacement to fit hole may not be easy, likely that is why converted in first place.

So google "suspended ceiling lights" and see if any that come up are same size as what you have.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:09 am