LED strip light hardwire and connecting to Alexa
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paulontour
Labourer
Labourer

LED strip light hardwire and connecting to Alexa

by paulontour » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi - at the moment, I have 4 under cupboard lights in my kitchen. These are activated by a switch on the wall, and all come off their own round junction box. They are old and not very reliable or economical. I would like to replace them with LED strip lights, so I can ultimately make them smart lights to be activated by Alexa. However I am struggling to understand how I can hardwire LED strip lighting. Could someone let me know what I need? i.e. what kind of driver, are there some easy connectors to use etc. And then the best way to make them smart lights would be amazing! Thanks

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: LED strip light hardwire and connecting to Alexa

by Mr White » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:47 pm

What you ask sounds like there is a simple answer, pity it is not the case.

You will need suitable LED strip and a suitable driver.
To make them "smart" you will also need a smart switch.

I can not be specific as there are so many variables that are your choice. Length of strip / tape, then you would need a driver suitable for the strip (Depending on its length / colour, and similarly the smart switch.)

Some places supply "kits" of LED strip (every thing you need), or you may want to buy the parts individually, as I said, its down to you and your choice.

Do be careful with the switch, most UK switches can not be replaced with a smart switch, as smart switches often require a neutral which we do not often have at the light switch, best look first.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:54 am